How you start the day has a tremendous impact on how happy, relaxed, and confident you will feel the rest of the day. In other words, a great morning routine is a key for career success. Here are 8 easy steps you can take before work each day in order to be happier, more relaxed, and more confident:
- Get up early. If you get out of bed at least 30-60 minutes before you need to leave for work, you can make your morning much more productive and you will not have to rush. (Yes, this means you may have to go to bed earlier.)
- Make your bed. This simple action only takes 15 seconds, and it gives you a feeling of accomplishment within 1 minute of waking up.
- Exercise. I usually exercise in the evening since it is something I look forward to doing at the end of the day. If you do not look forward to going to the gym, then “get it out of the way” right after you get up. You’ll have more energy all morning, and your evening will be free.
- Eat a great breakfast. Most young professionals skip breakfast altogether or they rely on coffee and a bagel or worse. Try cooking yourself some egg whites, fresh fruit, and oatmeal. You’ll be proud of yourself for starting the day in a healthy way, and you’ll have more energy for the next few hours. If you don’t want to cook, try eating some light yogurt with a bowl of bran cereal and fresh fruit.
- Talk to yourself for 60 seconds in the mirror. One day, I thought to myself how nice it would be to have a motivational speaker inspire me in-person every morning. Then, I realized I could do this for myself. While looking at yourself in the mirror, smile big and recite everything you like about yourself. I initially laughed at this idea…until I tried it.
- Take a thorough shower. Don’t just use a shower to clean your body; clean out your mind as well! Rather than singing or focusing on all your stress and worries, try saying out loud everything you are grateful for in your life. Again, I initially laughed at this idea…until I tried it. The best part of this action is that it does not require any extra time since you have to shower anyway.
- Look your best. Put your best foot forward with your appearance, and you will feel much better about yourself.
- Read or listen to inspirational material. Most people watch the news, read a newspaper, or zone out on their way to work. Try reading or listening to something inspirational instead, even if it is only for 5-10 minutes.
Do you want to be happier, more relaxed, and more confident all day long? Then, start your day the right way!
P.S. Tune in tomorrow when we’ll highlight some tips for being happier, more relaxed, and more confident throughout the day.
-Career Expert, College Speaker, and President of Idealize Enterprises
Follow me on Twitter @PeteLeibman